David Hockney is known primarily for his painting, but he also was the first artist to come up with the following photocollages. What Hockney did was piece together images that he took into one collage. The images didn't have to align perfectly; that was their magic. They looked a bit disorganized and scattered. Looking at the above image, Hockney assembled many different photographs to create one image.
Your assignments is to create a self-portrait in the style of David Hockney. You may use any part of your body, but your self-portrait should reflect you as a person. You will be using the DSLR cameras
- Put your camera in the following mode: Manual, ISO: 400
- Get a partner to help you photograph
- Choose your backdrop. Choose something interesting or colorful.
*Be sure to eliminate unnecessary objects in the background.
Your friend will be taking the photographs but YOU should be doing everything else.
- Meter for the area and the subject (you must use Manual mode)
- Study the work of artist David Hockney and create a photocollage self-portrait in that style.
- Study DSLR camera settings and utilize them in this project
- How creative is my self-portrait?
- When I photographed, did I include any unnecessary objects in the background?
- Did I utilize the DSLR camera settings correctly?
- Is my project printed and mounted correctly?
- Work habits
- Quality of photographs
- Unique ideas
- Effectiveness in communicating the idea within the theme