This project is your first foray into digital photography where you have complete creative control. You will shoot 50 frames on your DSLR (25 patterns and 25 textures), create a digital contact sheet, and print one final print mounted on black paper. Your assignment is to find the beauty in nature through the use of pattern and texture. Pattern is identified as a repetition of a certain element or elements. Texture refers to the properties held by an external surface. Although we cannot actually feel the texture in a photograph, implied texture will give the viewer the feeling that he or she can actually reach in and touch the image.
- Work habits
- Quality of photographs
- Full range of tones (from black to white)
- Effectiveness in communicating the idea within the theme
- Two final images
- One must show shallow depth of field
Tips to Get Started:
You should decide how you are going to frame your subject. Use the rule of thirds. Consider your outdoor lighting. Is it sunny or cloudy? You must use the focusing ring so you do not get blur. *Remember, do not use a shutter speed lower than 1/60th.
- How do you compose a photograph?
- What needs to be considered when you are outside photographing?
- How do you make sure your photographs are focused?
- How do you develop your film?
- How do you determine the time to develop your film?
- What are the steps in the film processing and drying method?
- What is a contact print?
- How do you make a contact sheet?
- What did you think about this project? Tell me about your likes/dislikes.
- Describe the difficulties in shooting. In editing?
- Describe each of the 3 photos and how each defines pattern and/or texture. Be specific.
- Do you think you were successful in this project? Why or why not?
***Submit in the Google Drive Crit Folder named "Yourname - Pattern Texture Crit"