An animated gif is essentially a file that rotates through multiple frames in order to create the illusion of movement. They are often used for advertisements (see image above) but they can also be used to make artwork. Your assignment is to create a an artistic quirky animated gif using vector drawings. You may only use your own imagery -- no stock images or tracing previous photographs.
Steps to create an animated gif:
- Read through these artists' tips on making animated gifs
- Sketch out your idea on a storyboard
- Draw the vector images that you need in AI
- Export the files as .pngs
- Set up your file in Photoshop
- Import each image in a separate layer/frame (this is very important to remember)
- Record using the animation window (click view>animation)
- Save for web and devices. Save as a gif.
Check out this artist and this one who creates such great animated GIFs. Also, this site has some great examples of animated gifs in email marketing. Do you think that animated gifs are fine art, well now they are being given their time in museums!
- Quality of imagery
- Technical Quality (correct image type/size)